The 2011 Legatum Prosperity Index
Webster's dictionary defines prosperity as "the condition of being successful or ..." — OK, we're not going to start with an intro that cheesy. Nonetheless, in 2011, in a world no longer measured by the flimsiness of extreme wealth, prosperity is an important gauge on a planet still struggling after a devastating recession. What countries can still claim a well-off population? What countries can't? And who envies who?
To get a grasp on prosperity around the world, public policy group The Legatum Institute studied the prospects of 110 countries, accounting for over 90 per cent of the globe's population. Countries were ranked in eight all-encompassing categories*, each of which were deemed to have an effect on economic growth or personal well-being. After the downturn, Canada has maintained a high level of prosperity, but what nations are doing better than us? Click through to find the most prosperous countries on earth.
* Legatum's eight categories: 1) economy, 2) entrepreneurship and opportunity, 3) governance, 4) education, 5) health, 6) safety and security, 7) personal freedom and 8) social capital.
Aug. 29 (Bloomberg) –- Retired U.S. Army General Wesley Clark discusses President Obama’s strategy in dealing with the Islamic State in Iraq and the si... More Aug. 29 (Bloomberg) –- Retired U.S. Army General Wesley Clark discusses President Obama’s strategy in dealing with the Islamic State in Iraq and the situation in Ukraine. He speaks on "Street Smart." (Source: Bloomberg)
Date 14-08-30, Duration 5:43, Views 1988
Have your say
How long does it take you to completely unpack after moving in?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- 3 days – I'm an unpacking MACHINE!
- I need a full month just to figure out where to put everything!
- 3 months – I use the boxes as end tables!
- NEVER! I still haven't unpacked everything from the last move.