A look back at the unbelievable wealth of the richest people throughout history.
Today, according to Forbes’ latest rich list, the wealthiest man on earth is Carlos Slim, he of the $69 billion (as of March 2012) Mexican telecom fortune. A staggering net worth, to be sure, but how does it rank when viewed through the lens of history?
The folks at CelebrityNetWorth.com recently compiled a list of the richest people that ever lived, gathering a group of well-known luminaries and translating their wealth into today’s dollars*. The rundown features names you know well, though no women, and no tycoons, tyrants or royals who are still alive today. Who, then, was the richest person of all-time? Click through to find out.
* Where dollars were not used as a measuring stick, the most recent price for precious metals, like gold, were considered. All figures in this feature are in USD.
* Bing: How to become a millionaire
April 17 (Bloomberg) -- On today’s “The Roundup,” Trish Regan, Julie Hyman, Cristina Alesci and Eric Chemi wrap up the day’s top market stories on Bloo... More April 17 (Bloomberg) -- On today’s “The Roundup,” Trish Regan, Julie Hyman, Cristina Alesci and Eric Chemi wrap up the day’s top market stories on Bloomberg Television’s “Street Smart.” (Source: Bloomberg)
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 5:51, Views 23
Have your say
Is it important to own a house?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- 77 %1. Yes, owning a home is an investment that will pay off.
- 2. No, I'd rather save my money and rent.
- 3. No, I can't afford to buy a home.
- 4. I don't know.