Title: Pope, Roman Catholic Church
The spiritual leader to one-sixth of the world's population — 1.2 billion souls — delivers the final word on matters of abortion, gay marriage, female priests and, most recently, Occupy Wall Street. In October the Vatican called for a supranational authority to oversee the global economy: "To function correctly the economy needs ethics, and not just of any kind but one that is people-centred."
2011 lowlight: Two victim groups asked the International Criminal Court to investigate and prosecute Pope Benedict XVI for covering up instances of sexual abuse.
* Video: The Pope's first-ever tweet
* Tell us: Do you agree with Forbes' picks?
* More of the world's most powerful people
* The world's most powerful: Dropoffs
* The world's most powerful newcomers
* The most powerful offenders and defenders