The manager of the Grand Ole Opry told Elvis he was better off driving trucks.
Elvis Presley may be the king of rock 'n' roll but he hit some major setbacks on his way to the top. After one performance at Nashville's Grand Ole Opry, the concert hall's manager told the singer he was better off returning to Memphis and his old career, driving trucks.
Luckily for modern music, he didn't. Presley continued to book shows in the area and eventually landed a spot on a tour with Hank Snow, the then biggest star in country music.
* Bing: Watch Elvis Presley perform
More from Business Insider:
* Proof that old guys can be entrepreneurs
* To be a successful leader, you need to learn how to "do nothing"
* Why companies could get in trouble for accessing your Facebook page
July 29 (Bloomberg) -- Twitter’s user base is growing at a steady pace as its second-quarter revenue topped analysts’ estimates, sending its shares soa... More July 29 (Bloomberg) -- Twitter’s user base is growing at a steady pace as its second-quarter revenue topped analysts’ estimates, sending its shares soaring more than 20 percent. Estimize CEO Leigh Drogan and Bloomberg's Cory Johnson take a look at the numbers on "Street Smart." (Source: Bloomberg)
Date 12 hrs ago, Duration 4:12, Views 96
Have your say
How long does it take you to completely unpack after moving in?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- 3 days – I'm an unpacking MACHINE!
- I need a full month just to figure out where to put everything!
- 3 months – I use the boxes as end tables!
- NEVER! I still haven't unpacked everything from the last move.