On Monday, many Twitter users posted images of new banners at the Moscone West Convention Centre in San Francisco, where the event is taking place. Fabien Wanner/Twitter
On mobile? Watch the live stream here.
A new design and better ways to exchange files are part of Apple's new operating system for Mac computers.
Apple says the next version of the Mac system will named after the Yosemite National Park in California. Although it is separate from Apple's iOS system for iPhones and iPads, Apple CEO Time Cook says the two systems have been engineered to work seamlessly together.
The company is previewing new features for phones, tablets and Mac computers at its 25th annual conference for software developers in San Francisco.
Here are the highlights on what's been announced so far:
- Apple appears to be updating its Mac operating system more frequently now that it is migrating many of the phone and tablet features — such as notifications — to desktop and laptop computers. The next version will be called Yosemite, now that Apple is naming the software after California locales rather than cats.
- The new Mac will have a translucent design. The notification centre will use that design, for instance, to give you an advance look at your calendar, weather and other information.
- You'll be able to search for content on the computer and on the Internet at once, similar to a feature that came with Microsoft's Windows 8.1 system.
- Apple is expanding its iCloud storage service so that you can store and sync files of any type, not just the ones designed specifically for iCloud. It's similar to how services such as Dropbox, Google Drive and Microsoft's OneDrive let you work with the same files on multiple devices more easily.
- A Mail Drop feature will make it easier to send large files. Instead of pushing the entire file by email and overloading mail servers, the Mac will create a link that the recipient can click for the full file.
- The Mac's Safari web browser will have more privacy controls and ways to share links more easily.
- Yosemite is available for developers on Monday, with a general release coming in the fall. The update will be free.
latest money gallery
canadian press - business
Supply-chain giant Li & Fung's half-year results are seen as a bellwether for the health of the US retail sector.
Date 7 hrs ago, Duration 1:35, Views 22